OK so you’ve got a great looking website, triple checked it for typos, verified the content, added your contact/sales form, danced a jig, and you are now idling by the computer and your smartphone waiting for sales to come pouring in.
Well, it isn’t that easy. There are over 200 million websites across the globe and thousands of new ones being created daily. Developing a website is one thing, but how do you make it stand out and get those eyeballs looking and people buying your products.
One of the most important steps you can do is to optimize your website for search engines. Search Engine Optimization or SEO for short is a buzz word that you’ve probably heard of over the last few years.
Here are our Top Ten Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tips to help your business website move up in the rankings.
1. Title Tag. For those who are new to the web, a title tag is the words or phrases that show up in the very top left of the browser. Title tags should refer to the type of business, include a geo-location and keyword phrases that define what your business and your website are about. Each web page of your site should be optimized for the content on that page.
2. Meta Description tag. Description tags are still useful and should be a brief 1 paragraph (a couple of sentences) that describes the content on the web page. The description tag should be keyword rich and there should be a different description for each web page of your site.
3. Keywords and phrases. Meta Keyword tags are out! Don’t use them. Concentrate on using those keywords within your quality content. Keywords and phrases are what users would type to find your services. How do you find what keywords people are using? Go to Google’s Keyword Tool.
4. Original Quality content. Sales pitches and marketing juice aside, there needs to be something on your website that gives a reason for current and potential clients to return. It could be something as simple as a blog or more advanced such as an e-book, white papers or articles.
5. Start a blog. The best way for you to establish quality content is through a blog. Most blogs are free (WordPress and Blogger). Blogs should be considered an extension of your website. Write about things that will help establish your brand. Visitors will have a better perception of what it is your company does. It doesn’t have to be super fancy or complex design. Another great feature of a blog is to establish user dialog by using the comments.
6. Sitemaps. There are several ways to automate sitemaps for your website. We use XML for our site maps. HTML site maps are just as good and in fact, you should have both – XML for Google search bots and HTML for your visitors.
7. Don’t keyword spam. Don’t spam your site with too many keyword phrases. Search engines will typically “punish” websites that have been found to do a ton of keyword phrases with no relation to what the website is about and has no real content for visitors.
8. Minimize images. Search Engines can’t read the images. Use ALT tags to include a keyword rich description of the image. Instead of using images for your navigation, create your navigation with Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
9. Google Places. Google places allow a business owner to add their business to Google maps. It is a very simple process. Anyone doing a local search will see business listings from Google places in the search results.
10. Social Media. Establishing your business on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook can enhance your brand and increase your business name on search engine page results. Connect to clients and potential customer. However, do not enter these networks lightly. A good amount of time and energy is needed to use these networks to be successful. Also, have a plan or strategy in place when using social media.
Need help with your SEO? Contact Security Marketing Solutions so we can help you maximize your business website’s potential.