A few weeks ago I did a review and demo of how to use Periscope. You can check that video out here. Periscope is a live video streaming app owned by Twitter. Live streaming is certainly not new, before Periscope there was UStream, Justin.TV, LiveStream, and even Google hangouts to name just a few.
How it works
You download and install the app (iOS or Android) and create an account using your Twitter account. You have the option to edit the bio and picture (and your name – only when you first create your account). You can search for others to follow. While viewing streams if a topic really interests you, tap the screen to give hearts as a way to say thank you. The host is on camera while viewers communicate through text chat to the host and other viewers. To create a stream click the TV icon, add a subject/title, and click Start Broadcast.
What makes Periscope unique
- It was built mobile first. You can go and be anywhere
- Immediacy to watch. Once a stream ends it is only available to followers for 24 hours.
- Quality of the stream. I have watched and participated in some UStream and Google + hangouts and the quality of stream was terrible.
- No ads (yet)
- Simple to use. Just add your subject/title, and click the “Start Broadcast” button.
- It’s vertical. There is no trying to figure out if you are recording upside right, and no hand cramp from holding the phone in landscape
Why your brand needs to be on it
Now as a security services provider your mindset might be on your clients and customers from a privacy standpoint with this app – which is always an issue – app or not – but this app doesn’t help matters.
However, what I’d like for you to do is focus on your business and how Periscope (and live streaming in general) can enhance your brand and grow your business.
- Make a solid connection with fans, brand ambassadors, and influencers by creating dialogue
- Share valuable, inspirational or useful content
- Raise brand awareness
- Have private streams with clients or customers – as part of a benefit to your services
- Hands on training demonstrations
- Classroom training
- Question and Answers – share your knowledge
- Conferences – meet ups, interviews, and speakers -with permission of course
Periscope has only be around since early April, so it is still in its infancy, now is the time to get out there and start streaming and build your brand.
Follow me and others I recommend on Periscope
Click on the magnifying glass icon and search for:
@securitydriver (Tony Scotti)
@isdacenter (International Security Driver Association)